Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Good Days

 Daniel and Lydia love it as you can see!!

Hello All!  Things are starting to get a little more settled around here.  We are getting into a routine and the kids are really connecting well.  We had our first visit from the social worker on Monday and she thought the kids were doing fantastic. She was very pleased with how attachment was going and allayed a lot of my fears and insecurities. Both kids are really making great strides in their English words and understanding which is huge. Attachment is such a huge deal with adoption.  It has huge ramifications for future development and relationships so we have to take it pretty seriously.  I have to admit it was consuming me and I was feeling completely insecure about my parenting instincts so the visit from the social worker put me at ease and I feel like I can relax and enjoy them a little more.  Just a note about that.  If you should happen to stop by or see us at church in the future, please don't pick them up or try to hold them.  We really need to meet their needs right now and it can be confusing and overwhelming to have strangers trying to hold them.  They have no idea how much everyone has anticipated their arrival!  We love the encouragement and support you all have been to us and believe me, in a few months we will welcome the extra attention!! My mom is here for the week and it has been such a boost for me.  We are being careful about me meeting all the needs of the kids and them coming to me or Jay with their needs, but it's been so nice to have her support and insight.  Today I was able to have a play date with a friend and her two little ones.  She also has bigs and littles so she was a huge encouragement to me.  One huge accomplishment today was that I got them both down for a nap at the same time for two hours!! I'm not holding my breath that it will happen again anytime soon, but it was such a breath of fresh air!  A few funny things around here.  One night when Jay was putting the kids down Lydia yells out Dunde and Daniel responds, "Eh".  Then we heard them doing that once in a while throughout the day.  So now we all will give a little shout out of Dunde and wherever the littles are they will yell Eh!  It's a riot!  Another funny quote of the day...Jay was holding Daniel and had just let Belle (our dog) out and was watching her poop outside when I said I needed to ask him something.  He says back to me, " I've got a lot going on right now, so if you could wait a little while that would be great."  I turned around to see him watching Belle poop and said, "Really?"  We both burst out laughing!  We're trying to figure out meal time because we usually get the little ones food together, pray, then get our food.  By the time we sit down to eat, Daniel has already finished most of his food and is about ready to get down.  I think we need to give him his food last!  He is an eating machine!! We are all getting used to having little hands around too.  Poor Jase left his glasses on the end table and Lydia got ahold of them and broke them.  Huge bummer!  Hopefully we won't have too many more casualties before we figure this out.   That's life at the Mundingers!

5 comments:

  1. Praising the Lord for the encouraging update!! Send Kathy back soon....we miss her!! Love you guys! Kari

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, this is awesome! I am so happy to be able to follow your adventure....as I head out on a different adventure of my own! I pray for you all often.

    Take care and I miss you and Jay immensely

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news! Thanks for sharing the details. Love hearing about all of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim, such a fun update and pics... I love that they are playing in the truck, so cute! You are doing a fantasic job! Give them a big smooch from the Poort clan. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kim, Oh, how we love your updates! Wonderful to hear how you all are doing, join in on the chuckles and joys, and to know that prayers are being answered. :) It does seem like a long time ago when simultaneous naps were a victory - but what a victory that is!
    Missing you,
    Dave and Lisa

    ReplyDelete