Sunday, January 13, 2013

Mbayo!

"Mbayo" That's the word I hear often from Daniel.  I don't know what it means exactly but I do know to him it means get away and give me my space!  He follows it with smacking his lips which I thought was cute at first but realize now I'm pretty sure he means "kiss off".  We are keeping our sense of humor about it!  We did have a better day today, which I praise God for.  Jay was gone for an hour this morning when he woke up and I was able to bathe him and he gave me a cuddle after I got him some milk.  He also played downstairs with me and pretended to feed me and let me help him in the bathroom.  I didn't hear "Mbayo" as many times as I did the day before!  All seem like small things but we are looking for the blessings and God is faithful to show us where they are.  I was able to get out today for an hour with Sally, which was a huge blessing!  We went out for coffee and roamed the bookstore and had a good cry in the car. Just what I needed!  Please pray for our birth children.  They are so helpful and want so badly for things to go well.  We are all in a bit of shock that we could not really have prepared for. Pray that they know how extremely loved and important they are to us and that this is temporary.  It will get better!! We brought Belle back into the picture today, which I was a little concerned about.  Dogs are not pets in Africa and are actually very scarey so we didn't know how they would react to her.  They don't like her, but they are not freaking out.  They come to us to hold them when she comes around, but they are not screaming and crying.  Belle is actually fine with that.  She doesn't really like little kids that much, so this is a win for her!  This is an answer to prayer for me.  I was up a lot last night trying to think of a way to make it go smoothly and praying that it would.  Jase went and got her, brought her home while they were in their seats at the table and they pretty much just continued eating.  Really a non issue.  Why do I waste so much time worrying?  God is already there and has it all figured out!

Jay just reminded me of something God has taught us through Daniel and Lydia.  They both eat absolutely everything placed in front of them and Daniel will even scrape the bowl with his hand to get all of the sauce.  Daniel saw one of the kids scrape their plate into the garbage with some food on it and we caught him going into the garbage to get it out.  He is also very protective of his clothes and will get them from the laundry basket and carry them around pointing to himself.  I have to sneak them into the closet.  He especially is so grateful for every need that is met.  What an incredible reminder to us of God's generous provision to us that we take so for granted.

 Lydia likes headbands so she takes Sally's and puts them on her head!
 Sisters!!
 Kiki and Papa brought over black Raggedy Ann and Andy for Daniel and Lydia.  It was a hit!  So thoughtful!
 Mmmm! lunch time!  Daniel and Charlie...

 All dressed for winter! They lasted about 5 minutes outside.
Time to cut the little letters out of Lydia's hair.  They really bug her at night.  I can't imagine the time it took to put them in her hair.  She wasn't crying because it hurt, she dropped her little play phone on the ground. Notice the headband around her neck!

 I don't think I will have time to write thank you notes to all that have been so generous in their support, but please know that it means so much!! The meals, the clothes and offers to come and clean are so appreciated.  I will ask for help from you, I know we can't do this alone and God has brought each one of you on this journey with us.  Please keep the texts and calls and emails coming.  We may not have time to get back to you but they really do encourage us.  Above all, continue to pray!

4 comments:

  1. Rejoicing in the small victories.......good appetites, Daniel's lengthy slumber, headbands, Raggedy Ann and Andy, cuddles, an hour out with Sally, and then the not so small victories.....Daniel bonding with Jay, Lydia's awesome disposition, Jase, Sally, Charlie, and Jack, and God's presence, love, and faithfulness in the midst of all the uncertainty. You are all such an encouragement to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim and All,

    Just wanted you to know that I have entered into your blog to keep in touch.
    Love to all of you. Looking forward to seeing you there in person.

    Dad Hall, aka Bumpa (not an African name)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing about this exciting, complicated, loving experience Kim. Writing is a healthy outlet for self-expression and certainly helps us gain perspective. I have been thinking and praying for you all. I am certain your children know your love for them is out of this world. I plan to make barbque soon--I will make extra for the Mundinger 8. How nice that Lydia and Daniel eat everything and believe you are the best cook ever--I would love to have them dine with us--I need the encouragement! Don't hesitate to call/ask if we can help. Love, Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim and Jay,

    We just got the word that you were home with Daniel and Lydia. I instantly came to the blog to see your journey. Congrats! When I met you and Jay 5 years ago I knew that I met a couple that was extraordinary! If there is anything we can do, please don't hesitate to ask. They are darling!

    Shannon and Jorge Elizondo

    ReplyDelete